Watch the video walk-through here:
Domains and hosting are two of the most important starting points to creating your own website. In this short, simple and concise article we’ll guide you through setting up the Domain name and Hosting service for your new website.
Selecting a Hosting Provider
We recommend Siteground Hosting since we’ve worked with them on countless projects and currently use their servers to host our own websites.
This being said, there are a variety of other hosting options out there that are both affordable and effective. If you’re unsure of which Hosting Provider you’d like to use for your website, research is key. All website hosting services differ in terms of cost, quality of service provided, customer service and other key metrics such as data, storage, etc.
If you’re unsure of which hosting provider is right for you; feel free to reach out to us, we’d be happy to help.
Selecting a Domain Name
Selecting the right domain name for your business is an important part of the website setup process. A variety of small businesses tend to use domain names that don’t characterize their business well and aren’t the best in terms of SEO (Search Engine Optimization). For the best results, follow these tips:
- Keep Your Domain Name Short, Concise and Easy to spell (no weird letters or symbols that make user-error a common issue)
- If this website is for your business, try to stick to the “.com” domain classification, this is better for SEO and is the most common.
- Make sure that your domain name reflects your business
The most important aspect of choosing your domain name is ensuring that users will be able to find you or your business easily – Keep it simple!
Hosting Add-Ons and Premium Features
All hosting services tend to have premium features and additional “add-ons” depending on what you need and/or want out of your hosting experience. These vary, but the most common are as follows:
- SSL Certificates (Most hosting providers have an additional charge for an SSL, Siteground provides these for free with all hosting accounts)
- Firewall/Security (Some hosting companies offer additional security options such as firewalls, DDoS protection and malware scanning)
- Speed Optimization Systems
- Dedicated IP Addresses, Private DNS
- Domain Privacy
It’s important to read into the actual offerings of these premium services and do outside research to ensure that you’re not wasting your money on something that you don’t need. As always; if you have any questions, we’re here to help.
Now that you’ve secured hosting for your website, it’s time to start building! Keep a look out for our next article and video walk-through as we guide you through the process of building your own website.
Register for Siteground Web Hosting Here: http://bit.ly/reticencehosting